PRODUCTS > iBURST > OVERVIEW
iBurst Product Overwiew
- Provided by Wireless Business Solutions; they also provide the country
wide wireless networks for Lotto.
- iBurst is a comprehensive broadband internet solution for small/medium
businesses and home users.
- The roll-out started in the 3rd quarter of 2004, with the official
launch on 1 April 2005.
- Coverage now extends to most areas of Johannesburg, Midrand, Pretoria,
Cape Town and Durban.
- iBurst provides an unique combination of three highly desirable features
|| High speed (up to 1 mbps, depending on signal strength)
||Flexibility (mobility, simultaneous use in different locations)
||Low cost relative to other options in SA
How can you use iBurst in the business or home?
- The desktop modem is ideal for connecting several users on a network
simultaneously to the 24/7 broadband internet solution.
- The users can then independently surf the internet, send and receive
e-mail, use internet phone and –fax services, download files,
- The local network can be either cabled or wireless.
- There are several ways to connect the iBurst modem to your network
|| Create a shareable connection on one of the PC’s
||Use a router to provide independent sharing of the connection
and medium level of security
||Create a secure connection on a gateway server that is set up
as a firewall
- Using the laptop modem, you can be connected while roaming in the
coverage area. This ideal for sales staff, management, consultants,
- Multiple modems can be linked to one service and used independently,
allowing for efficient use of a shared bandwidth pool in a business.
For instance, the business owner can link a laptop modem for personal
use to the same service his or her business is running on – creating
a very cost effective solution for variable mobile needs.
- The modem and service can easily be shared between the office and
home or an additional modem can be deployed at the home, connected to
the office service.
Coverage and speed
- The coverage maps are colour coded to indicate the probable signal
strength in the area. The signal strength determines the speed that
you will be getting:
| The dark green areas indicate speed of 600 to 1000
|The medium green areas indicate 300 to 600 kbps
|The light green indicate 100 to 300 kbps
- Our trained agents will assist you with advise on optimising the
speed that you can achieve, including the correct placement of the modem
and using antenna solutions to enhance the speed above the indications
- Four service packages are provided with different levels of included
capacity (see pricing matrix)
- The included capacity is delivered at full speed (shared 1 mbps).
- If your capacity is depleted in the month, you have options
| Run on throttle speed (shared 64 kbps) for the
rest of the month
|Buy further capacity at full speed for the month (see pricing
- Shaping is used to ensure high throughput levels can be maintained.
- With the gig 1 package, e-mail and web browsing will be delivered
at full speed. All other internet use will be at throttle speed.
- With the gig 3 and -6 packages, additional services such as file transfer,
audio- and video streaming as well as Virtual Private Networks will
be delivered at full speed.
- Only the 9 gig package will deliver peer-to-peer networks at full
- Static IP will be available in future
- The service includes the ISP, which is always an additional cost
for dial-up and ADSL.
- One 10 MB mailbox is included, with 5 aliases.
- The email address will be at wbs.co.za.
- Clients have access to a user friendly control panel to set up aliases,
auto replies, vacation messages, etc.
- Spam- and virus filtering can easily be set to different levels in
the control panel.
- Additional e-mail boxes, storage capacity and personalised domains
are available at minimal costs.
- Compared to dial-up and ISDN, iBurst is much faster and will give
you the 24/7 convenience and productivity gain at a lower total cost
if you are a medium or high end user (one hour or more per day).
- Compared to ADSL, iBurst is faster if you are in a good reception
zone, implementation will be much quicker, cost will be similar or better
and you will enjoy much better flexibility and mobility.
- Compared to Vodacom 3G, iBurst provides cheaper bandwidth and much
faster speed, but lacks the wider availability in rural areas and regional
- Compared to Sentech MyWireless, iBurst provides faster speed, more
stable service and better flexibility, but less included capacity for
- Compared to 64- and 128 kbps Diginet options, iBurst is faster, much
cheaper, flexibility and mobility is better. There would be more variance
in speed, but on a much higher level.